Welcome to the complete guide on how to explore the charming province of La Spezia through peer-to-peer car sharing. This area, nestled between the region’s enchanting Ligurian coastline and green hills, is a treasure trove of breathtaking views, historical and cultural riches. For travelers who want an independent and flexible adventure, car sharing proves to be an ideal choice.
Peer-to-peer car sharing is a mode of travel that is growing strongly in Italy, driven mainly by the habits of tourists. In fact, the latter are accustomed to this type of mobility, and in Italy they have found a company that offers this service just like in their home country: Auting.
Auting is the first peer-to-peer car sharing platform that allows private citizens to register their car on the website or app with the purpose of leaving it for use by those who need it, in return the owner (called Owner) receives a fee. Read how Auting works, you will find that this mode is in high demand among travelers for several reasons. First because the prices are cheaper than car rental in La Spezia, second because this mode is present wherever people have registered their cars. You will be able to find vehicles in Genoa, Savona or in Milan but also in small towns.
In this article, you will find out how private car sharing can make your trip easier. Whether you are heading to the picturesque Cinque Terre, want to explore the rich historical heritage of La Spezia, or simply wish to enjoy the beauty of the Ligurian coast, Auting offers a practical and tailor-made travel solution.
Using car sharing with Auting is an excellent way to explore this region in a flexible and convenient way. Here are the best areas in La Spezia to take a car sharing car:
Near La Spezia Central Train Station: This is a practical option for those arriving by train. Car sharing at La Spezia station is a perfect opportunity for those who do not want to waste time with the lengthy procedures of car rental in La Spezia. In addition, the area around the station has a good supply of vehicles, allowing an easy start for touring the city and surrounding areas.
Old Town of La Spezia: Although the old town can be a bit congested, it is full of charm and culture. Taking a car here allows those who reside or temporarily stay here to leave for the magnificent destinations of the Ligurian coast.
Porto Mirabello: For those who are interested in maritime exploration or wish to enjoy sea views, starting at Porto Mirabello is ideal. The area offers easy access to carpooling and a scenic departure to other destinations.
Sea Fair Area: Located south of downtown, this area is practical for those who wish to depart from a less crowded spot while still maintaining good proximity to the heart of the city.
Lerici and San Terenzo: For those wishing to explore coastal areas near La Spezia, you can rely on residents’ cars here. A very little-known area to most that can be reached in a short time heading south on the E80 is Lunigiana, also called the Magra, or a strip of land on the border between Liguria and Tuscany.
Pegazzano Neighborhood: This neighborhood, north of downtown, is a historic area that to this day boasts a vibrant population. A strategic choice for those seeking to avoid downtown traffic. It offers easy access to different car sharing options.
Near Military Arsenal: This area, rich in history, is ideal for military and naval history enthusiasts.
Canaletto: it is a very central seaside township. Finding a car share here allows you to be close to the Cruise Terminal.
Pitelli: this is a real Borgo from which you can enjoy a panoramic view. Those who stay or reside here can rely on car-sharing vehicles to get around as they please.
Visiting La Spezia and its province means immersing yourself in a world of natural beauty, historical and cultural treasures, and delicious cuisine. Here is a guide to what to do in this beautiful region of Liguria.
1. Explore La Spezia’s Historic Center: Stroll through the streets of the historic center, where you will find stores, cafes, and museums, such as the Naval Technical Museum and the Amedeo Lia Museum, full of artwork and historical memorabilia.
2. Visit Cinque Terre: You can’t come to La Spezia without dropping by Cinque Terre, five picturesque coastal villages famous for their breathtaking scenery and colorful houses overlooking the sea. Reachable by train, they are ideal for hiking and scenic walks.
3. Enjoy Local Beaches: Beaches around La Spezia, such as Lerici and San Terenzo, offer crystal clear waters and beautiful scenery. They are perfect for a relaxing day at the beach.
4. Visit the Castle of San Giorgio: Located on a hill overlooking La Spezia, this medieval castle offers spectacular views of the city and the Gulf of Poets.
5. Discover Porto Venere: This charming seaside village, with its pastel-colored houses, St. Peter’s church and ancient castle, is a jewel of the Ligurian Riviera.
6. Excursion to Palmaria Island: The largest island in the La Spezia archipelago is an oasis of unspoiled nature, perfect for hiking and diving.
7. Promenade along the La Spezia water front: The waterfront offers a pleasant promenade overlooking the sea, ideal for a relaxing evening or enjoying a sunset.
8. Exploring Cinque Terre National Park: In addition to the famous villages, the park offers numerous hiking trails that pass through vineyards, olive groves, and offer panoramic views of the sea.
9. Savoring Local Cuisine: La Spezia’s gastronomy is a mix of sea and land flavors. Try typical dishes such as pesto alla Genovese, focaccia, and fresh seafood.
10. Visit Sarzana: This historic city, not far from La Spezia, has a charming old town, an imposing fortress, and numerous cultural events.
11. Field trip to Lerici and Tellaro: These two towns offer beautiful coastal views, castles, and a peaceful atmosphere away from the crowds of the Cinque Terre.
12. Cultural Events and Festivals: La Spezia hosts various cultural events throughout the year, such as the Festival of the Sea and the Maritime Festival, which celebrate the city’s rich maritime tradition.
In conclusion, La Spezia and its province offer a wide range of activities for all tastes. From nature excursions to cultural explorations, from relaxing days at the beach to culinary adventures, there is always something new and fascinating to discover in this vibrant region of Liguria.
“First experience on Auting, good thing it was with Giuseppina: super helpful, car comfortable and full of amenities (never underestimate the steering wheel cover!), owner super nice and helpful, price perfect.”
“Great experience. Roberto’s car was very convenient for a one day trip around the Itria valley. Roberto himself was very friendly, helpful, punctual, and made everything easy for us to take back the car at the time that best suited us.”
“Mario was very kind, communication was top! I recommend him.”
Auting connects those who need a car for a short time (Driver) with those who have a little-used car they want to make available (Owner).
You can sign up using your Facebook account or by using your e-mail. Once you have created your account and verified your identity through your cell phone number, you can make your car available. You will not be able to enter other people’s data or your account will be deleted and you will not be covered by insurance. In the case of couples or households, each person must have his or her own personal account.
Vehicles must mandatorily have all of the following requirements:
Code Own Use (short/long-term rental or leased cars are not accepted unless specifically authorized by the long-term renter) weighing less than 3.5 T, which can carry a maximum of 9 persons and less than 13 cubic meters total volume. RVs are not accepted.
Registration in Italy within 15 years including the current year;
Insurance with the mandatory coverages under the law Motor Vehicle Liability with free driving;
Review of DMV offices in good standing.
Auting connects individuals looking for a car (Driver) and those who make their cars available (Owner) for free and in a verified manner. How does enrollment and verification take place?
Membership in Auting is free of charge. The platform offers an enrollment option with no hidden costs, providing easy and convenient access for Drivers and Owners.
Membership on Auting is free and verified. The platform adopts verification procedures to ensure that it is a safe and reliable environment for all users, providing a worry-free experience for both Driver and Owner.
Are you a car owner? With Auting, you have the opportunity to share your car with other community members.
Contribute to more sustainable mobility and discover the benefits of being part of Auting.